Alexandra is here to tell you about some sustainable choices you can make during the pandemic.
Use of PPE
Disposable masks and gloves have been infesting the streets since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic! Many people have resorted to littering the streets with their used PPE rather than appropriately disposing of or recycling these items. This is adding to the amount of single use plastic being used and further harming the environment.
Instead of using disposable masks, switch them for reusable ones! This will help reduce the use of single-use items as well as its contribution to street litter and landfill waste. There are lots of places where you can buy reusable masks including local stores and also smaller independent businesses on platforms like etsy.
3 reasons to choose reusable masks over disposable:
- Over time they're much cheaper to use as you do not need to keep replacing them.
- Far better for the environment.
- Available in a wider variety of sizes, designs and styles.
DIY facemask ideas:
If you do not want to spend much money on buying facemasks you can do them yourself too! There are plenty of easy and affordable design ideas on the internet, a simple google search will bring up numerous resources to help you.
Helpful YouTube videos:
- DIY sock mask - all you need is a clean old sock and pair of scissors!
- Sewing a mask - give this a go if you have some old material at home and are handy with a needle and thread!
Disposable cleaning wipes
The advice to regularly disinfect surfaces led to a sharp rise in the number of people buying disposable cleaning wipes. Single use cleaning wipes contain plastic and chemicals that can harm the environment. Instead of using them to clean your surfaces, you can opt for more natural and eco-friendly alternatives.
Eco friendly products:
There are better and cheaper alternatives you can use to clean your place, most of which are readily available at home!
- Alcohol and white vinegar are good alternatives to clean your home surfaces as they are effective disinfectants.
- Lemon has amazing cleaning properties, it kills bacteria and easily cuts through grease. Mixing it with vinegar, water and baking soda can create an all-purpose cleaning product.
- White Vinegar and baking soda are great products to remove odour and desinfect your house. They can also be used to unclog your drains.
- Alcohol is great to kill bacteria. Hydrogen Peroxide can be used as a bleach alternative to disinfect your house. You can use it to clean your toilet bowl.